Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Bernie Inflates

Dry Bones cartoon, Kirschen, Sanders, Presidency, politics, Palestinians, Israel,Middle East, Bernie, campaign,
According to the Times of Israel:
Massively inflating toll, Sanders suggests Israel killed ‘over 10,000 innocents’ in Gaza
Democratic hopeful acknowledges he’s not sure of figures, but accuses Israel of indiscriminate attacks, says it must improve ties with Palestinians to improve US ties

WASHINGTON — Massively amplifying even Hamas’s own figures, Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders suggested Israel had killed “over 10,000 innocent” Palestinian civilians in Gaza during the war there in the summer of 2014, and said the high casualties were the result of an “indiscriminate” Israeli military offensive. Hamas health authorities in Gaza put the civilian death toll at about a seventh of the figure cited by Sanders; Israel puts it lower still.
In an interview with the New York Daily News editorial board published on Monday, the Vermont senator acknowledged that he did not have the exact figures memorized, but twice said he believed that the Palestinian civilian death count surpassed 10,000, and excoriated Israel for what he deemed its disproportionate use of force.
“Anybody help me out here, because I don’t remember the figures, but my recollection is over 10,000 innocent people were killed in Gaza. Does that sound right?” he said first
Told that the number was “probably high,” Sanders responded: “I don’t have it in my number… but I think it’s over 10,000. My understanding is that a whole lot of apartment houses were leveled,” he went on. “Hospitals, I think, were bombed. So yeah, I do believe and I don’t think I’m alone in believing that Israel’s force was more indiscriminate than it should have been.”
-more

Labels: , , , , , , ,